Sunday, August 15, 2010

Trek Sunday Ride

Rode with Sunday Southbay Trek group today since the CAF training was on Saturday this week. I haven’t ridden with this group in a long time because of my CAF MDC and XX1090 training and previous training for the San Diego century. It was good to see some of the regulars (Darcy, Edgar, Jose, Ron, and the HTC Columbia guys etc.) and also some new faces. There were about 17 people all together.

As usual, Edgar and Jose left me in the dust during the two big hill climbs. After all the riding I had been doing, I thought I might have a little better showing on the hills and hang on to their wheels until the top of the hills. Nope! At about the halfway point (7/10 of a mile), I start losing ground and was way behind them by the top of the climb. Of course, like anyone who is competitive on the bicycle, I had an excuse. My excuse is that I wasn’t feeling well (sore throat and extremely congested) and that I climbed about 5000 feet in 57 miles the day before. Etc. etc. The truth is it wouldn’t have mattered! They both are just really good “Billy Goats”! I guess I need to ride more hills or just admit defeat! I talked to some of the group about the CAF and the contest. Hopefully some of them will donate to a great cause.

After the ride, I added on some additional miles and while doing this met three great guys(John, John, and Roger) on Otay Lakes past the reservoir (great ride with no stop lights but watch out for both the speeding motorcycles and border patrol vehicles). One of the Johns’ is a very recent cancer survivor who just within the past month started riding again. He did great today! These guys all ride together a lot and also raise moneys for various events, like the MS 150. I’m looking forward to riding with these guys again.

No comments:

Post a Comment